Arkendale Village - click to return to home page
 

 
Arkendale Directories & Electoral Rolls


This page contains information from trade directories and electoral rolls for the village over the years. These details are in addition to the census information given elsewhere on this site.

Arkendale Census
1841 1851 1861
1871 1881 1891
  1901  
Family History Page


1861 directory
  • Rev. George Creighton, Parsonage
  • Mr Thomas Ingham
  • Mr John Inman
  • Thomas Baxter, farmer
  • Richard Daniel, farmer, Fern's House
  • Bryan Darbyshire, shoemaker
  • Thomas Dunwell, farmer
  • William Dunwell, famer
  • John English, wheelwright
  • John Fall, farmer
  • James Harrison, farmer, Hollins House
  • Lazenby Lorrimer, farmer
  • William & Joseph Milthorpe, farmers
  • John Noble, shoemaker & shopkeeper
  • Isaac Richardson, farmer
  • Thomas Sadler, farmer
  • Willie Simpson, farmer
  • Marmaduke Stephenson, farmer
  • John Thompson, Blue Bell & farmer
  • Thomas Thompson, farmer
  • Francis Umpleby, blacksmith
  • John Whincup, farmer, Brooms House
  • Peter Whincup, shoemaker & postmaster

1887 directory

Arkendale, pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity, commanding a prospect over a well-cultivated country, is a village, township and parish formed from the parishes of Knaresborough and Farnham, but principally the former, 1½ miles south-east from Copgrove station on the Harrogate and Boroughbridge section (which is in Staveley village), and 3 north from Goldsborough station on the Knaresborough and Harrogate line of the North Eastern railway, 4 north-east from Knaresborough and 3 south from Boroughbridge, in the Ripon division of the Riding, Claro petty sessional division, wapentake of Claro, union of Great Ouseburn, county court district of Knaresborough, rural deanery of Knaresborough and archdeaconry and diocese of Ripon.

The church of St. Bartholomew, rebuilt in 1836, and consecrated 16th January, 1837, is an edifice of white brick in the Perpendicular and Middle-Pointed styles, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower with pinnacles, and containing a clock and one bell: the church was restored in 1888-9 at a cost of about £1,400, defrayed by the late S. Brown esq. of Loftus Hill: there are sittings for 150 persons. The register dates from the year 1793. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £202, including 76 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Knaresborough, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Frederick Edward Crankshaw M.A. of Durham University; the tithes, amounting to £107, are impropriated. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. James Hargreaves Nussey esq. of Fawcett House, Wortley, Leeds, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and, barley. The area of the township is 1,604 acres, of the ecclesiastical parish, 1,524 acres; rateable value, £2,030; the population in 1881 was 222.

Sexton, Joseph Nicholson. Post Office: Thomas Elliott, sub-postmaster, Arkendale. Letters arrive from Knaresborough at 9am; dispatched thereto at 9am & 3.30pm in winter & 3.55pm in summer.The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Knaresborough. National School (mixed), erected in 1867, for 70 children; average attendance, 61; Thomas W. Gilleard, master.

  • Rev. Frederick Edward Crankshaw, M.A., Vicarage
  • Levi Atkinson, farmer
  • Mrs Mary Carter, Blue Bell P.H.& farmer
  • Thomas Dewes, farmer
  • Alfred Dibbs, farmer
  • Thomas Dibbs. farmer
  • Thomas Elliott, shopkeeper, Post office
  • William Fall. Farmer, Holdgate Bank farm
  • William Fall, jun., farmer, Hollins House
  • Joseph Greaves, farmer
  • George Ibbetson, farmer
  • Robert Knowles, farmer
  • Thomas Nicholson, cowkeeper
  • Thomas Palfreeman, farmer
  • Simon Pickersgill, farmer
  • Swift Powell, farmer
  • Edward Richardson, wheelwright.& joiner
  • Joseph Sampson, gamekeeper to J.H. Nussey esq
  • Willey Simpson, farmer, The Grange
  • William Simpson, farmer, Fern House
  • Thomas Steele, farmer
  • William Steele, farmer
  • George Tebb, blacksmith
  • Peter Thompson, farmer
  • Sarah Thompson (Mrs.), farmer
  • Frederick Watson, farmer
  • John Whincup, farmer, Brooms House
  • John Wilson, farmer, The Nest

1889 directory

ARKENDALE, pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity, commanding a prospect over a well-cultivated country, is a village, township and parish former from the parishes of Knaresborough and Farnham, but principally the former, 4 miles north-east from Knaresborough, 3½ south from Boroughbridge, 1½ miles south-east from Copgrove station on the North Eastern railway, which is situated in Staveley village, and 3 north from Goldsborouth station, in the Ripon division of the Riding, Claro petty sessional division, wapentake of Claro, union of Great Ouseburn, county court district of Knaresborough, rural deanery of Knaresborough, archdeaconry of Richmond and diocese of Ripon. The church of St. Bartholomew, rebuilt in 1836, and consecrated 16th January, 1837, is an edifice of white brick in the Perpendicular and Middle-Pointed styles, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower with pinnacles, and containing a clock and one bell: there are sittings for 300 persons. The register dates from the year 1793. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearlv value £200, including 74 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Knaresborough, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Christopher Norton Wright, M.A. of Corpus Christi college; the tithes, amounting to £107, are impropriated. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Joseph Nussey esq., of Moore Hall, Pannal, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area of the township is 1,604 acres; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1,517 acres; rateable value, £2,274; the population in 1881 was 192. Sexton, Joseph Nicholson. Post Office - Thomas Elliott, receiver, Arkendale. Letters arrive from Leeds at 9 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 3.30 p.m. in winter and 4 p.m. in summer. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Knaresborough. National School (mixed), erected in 1857, for 70 children; average attendance, 50; William Cockshott, master.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
  • Simpson, Willey
  • Wright, Rev. Christopher Norton Wright M.A., The Parsonage
COMMERCIAL
  • Carter, Benjamin, Blue Bell P.H. and farmer
  • Darbyshire, Bryan, shoe maker
  • Dewes, Thomas, farmer
  • Dibbs, Thomas, farmer
  • Elliott, John, farmer
  • Elliott, Mary Jane (Mrs), dress maker
  • Elliott, Thomas, shopkeeper, Post Office
  • Ewbank, Richard, farmer
  • Fall, William, farmer
  • Hill, William, shopkeeper
  • Horner, John, mason
  • Johnson, John, farmer
  • Muschamp, Ann (Mrs), dress maker
  • Richardson, Edward, wheelwright & joiner
  • Sanderson, Frederick, farmer, Hollins House
  • Simpson, Willey, farmer
  • Simpson, William, farmer
  • Steele, George, farmer
  • Steele, Thomas, farmer
  • Tebb, George, blacksmith
  • Thompson, Peter, farmer
  • Watson, Frederick, farmer
  • Whincup, John, farmer, Brooms House

1891 directory

ARKENDALE PARISH. Wapentake of Claro (Lower Division) - Poor Law Union of Great Ouseburn - County Council Electoral Division of Ouseburn - Petty Sessional Division and County Court District of Knaresborough - Rural Deanery of Knaresborough - Archdeaconry of Richmond - Diocese of Ripon.

This parish, formerly a chapelry under Knaresborough, is co-extensive with the township of its own name, containing 1,526 acres. Its rateable value is £2,054, and its population in 1881 was 192. The soil is clay and the subsoil sand; the principal crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips, and seeds. Joseph Nussey, Esq., of Stray View, Harrogate, who purchased the lordship and estate from Morton Eden, Esq., in 1883, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The other proprietors are the trustees of Lady Hewley's Charities; the trustees of the late Thomas Collins, Esq., and Mr. Willey Simpson, of Arkendale. There are also a few small holdings. There are 17 acres of land belonging to the vicar of Knaresborough, which are let in allotments of an acre or thereabouts.

The village is a scattered one, and divided by a small stream into two parts, known as High and Low Arkendale. It is situated on high ground, about, four miles north-east of Knaresborough, and about the same distance south-west from Boroughbridge. Low Arkendale is locally within the parish of Farnham. The church of St. Bartholomew is a small building of white brick with stone dressings, in the Gothic style of architecture, rebuilt in 1836, and restored and a vestry added in 1888, at the sole expense of Samuel James Brown, Esq., of Loftus Hill. It comprises chancel, nave, vestry and tower, containing a clock and bell. The east window of three lights was erected by subscription, as a testimony of the munificence of the above named gentleman. The centre light depicts St. Bartholomew, the patron of the church, and in the side lights are represented the pelican feeding its young with its own blood, and the Ecce Agnus Dei. All the other windows are single lancet lights and are filled with stained glass. The roof is waggon headed. The pulpit and stalls are of oak. On the south wall of the nave is a marble tablet to the memory of S. W. Brown, C.E., second son of S. Brown, Esq., who was accidentally killed in 1879, near Ashburton, New Zealand, and is interred there. There is accommodation for 100 persons.

The living is a vicarage in the gift of the vicar of Knaresborough, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Paget Lambart Bayley, M.A., Pembroke College. Cambridge. It was augmented with Queen Anne's Bounty amounting to £800 between 1737 and 1810, by £200 given by J. Collinson and Dr. Stratford, and by a grant from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and is now worth £208 a year, with residence.

The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a small chapel here. The latter was built in 1861. The School was built by Sir William Eden, Bart., in 1867. It is mixed, and has an average attendance of 50. The Poor's Money amounts to 15s. a year. Richard Burden, in 1732, and a Mr. Randall, left 10s. a year for the benefit of the incumbent, but this has not been paid for some years; and bread is distributed to the poor of the parish on the last Sunday of each month, in accordance with the bequest of Anthony Acham, who, in 1638, left a rent-charge of £6 per annum to the poor of the parish of Knaresborough.

Postal address: Arkendale, Leeds

Post Office at Thomas Elliott's. Letters arrive at 9 a.m. and at 10.30 a.m., weekdays only, and are dispatched at 3.25 p.m. winter and 4 p.m. summer months. Telegraph and money order office at Knaresborough.
Marked * are in Low Arkendale

  • Bayley, Rev. Paget Lambert, M.A., The Vicarage
  • Elliott, Thomas, subpostmaster and grocer
  • Nicholson, Joseph, sexton
  • Richardson, Edward, wheelwright & joiner
  • Simpson, Augustus E., hind
  • Tebb, George, blacksmith; h Little Ouseburn
  • Thickett, John, schoolmaster
  • Thompson, Mary (Miss)
  • Thompson, Samuel, blacksmith; h Grafton
FARMERS
  • Carter, Mary (Mrs) (and vict.), Blue Bell Inn
  • Dewes, Thomas *
  • Dibbs, Thomas, Pond House *
  • Fall, William, Holgate Bank
  • Greaves, Joseph; h Kirkby Hill
  • Knowles, Robert *
  • Simpson, Willey (yeo), The Firs
  • Simpson, William, Fern House
  • Steele, George, Holgate Bridge (and at buildings, Harrogate)
  • Steele, Wiliam, Hollins House
  • Thompson, Peter (baliff of the manor court), Manor House
  • Watson, Frederick (and manure agent), Dale House
  • Whincup, John, Brooms House
  • Wilson, John (yeo), The Nest *

1893 directory

ARKENDALE, pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity, commanding a prospect over a well-cultivated country, is a village, township and parish former from the parishes of Knaresborough and Farnham, but principally the former, 1½ miles south-east from Copgrove station on the Harrogate and Boroughbridge section (which is in Staveley village), and 3 north from Goldsborouth station on the Knaresborough and Harrogate line of the London and North Eastern railway, 4 north-east from Knaresborough and 3½ south from Boroughbridge, in the Ripon division of the Riding, Claro petty sessional, wapentake of Claro, union of Great Ouseburn, county court district of Knaresborough, rural deanery of Knaresborough, archdeaconry of Leeds and diocese of Ripon. The church of St. Bartholomew, rebuilt in 1836, and consecrated 16th January, 1837, is an edifice of white brick in the Perpendicular and Middle-Pointed styles, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower with pinnacles, and containing a clock and 2 bells: the church was restored in 1888-9 at a cost of about £1,400, defrayed by the late S. J. Brown esq. of Loftus Hill: there are sittings for 150 persons. The register dates from the year 1793. The living is a vicarage, net yearlv value £210, including 76 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Knaresborough, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Frederick Edward Crankshaw M.A. of Durham University; the tithes, amounting to £107, are impropriated. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Joseph Nussey, of Moore Hall, Pannal, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area of the township is 1,604 acres; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1,524 acres; rateable value, £2,054; the population in 1891 was 201. Sexton, Joseph Nicholson. Post Office - Thomas Elliott, receiver, Arkendale. Letters arrive from Leeds at 9 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 3.30 p.m. in winter and 3.55 p.m. in summer. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Knaresborough. National School (mixed), erected in 1857, for 70 children; average attendance, 44; John Thickett, master.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
  • Crankshaw, Rev. F.E. (vicar), Vicarage
COMMERCIAL
  • Atkinson, Levi, farmer
  • Carter, Mary (Mrs), Blue Bell P.H. and farmer
  • Darbyshire, Bryan, shoe maker
  • Dewes, Thomas, farmer
  • Dibbs, Thomas, farmer
  • Elliott, John, farmer
  • Elliott, Thomas, shopkeeper, Post Office
  • Fall, William, farmer, Holgate Bank Farm
  • Greaves, Joseph, farmer
  • Nicholson, Thomas, cowkeeper
  • Palfreeman, Thomas, farmer
  • Pickersgill, Simon, farmer
  • Richardson, Edward, wheelwright & joiner
  • Simpson, Willey, farmer, The Grange
  • Simpson, William, farmer, Fern
  • Steele, George, farmer
  • Steele, Thomas, farmer
  • Steele, Wiliam, farmer, Hollins House
  • Tebb, George, blacksmith
  • Thompson, Peter, farmer
  • Watson, Frederick, farmer
  • Whincup, John, farmer, Brooms House
  • Wilson, John, farmer, The Nest

1900 directory
  • Atkinson, Levi, farmer
  • Crankshaw, Rev. F.E., Clerk in Holy Orders, The Vicarage
  • Dibbs, Alfred, farmer
  • Dibbs, Thomas, farmer
  • Elliott, John, farmer
  • Elliott, Thomas, postmaster
  • Fall, Walter, schoolmaster
  • Kitchingman, George, innkeeper, Blue Bell Inn
  • Knowles, Robert, farmer
  • Needham, William, gentleman
  • Nicholson, Thomas, farmer
  • Simpson, Thomas J., farmer
  • Simpson, Willey, farmer
  • Simpson, William, farmer
  • Steel, William, farmer
  • Swift, Powell, farmer
  • Thompson, Peter, farmer
  • Watson, Fred, farmer
  • Wilson, John, tea merchant
  • Wise, John, farmer

  • 1905 directory

    ARKENDALE. Area 1,604 acres. Population, 169. Rateable value, buildings, £359; land, £1,622. Rural District Councillor - Joseph H. Nussey. Overseers - Frederick Watson and William Needham.
    • Abbey, William T., schoolmaster
    • Allen, John jun., farmer
    • Atkinson, Levi, farmer
    • Dibbs, Alfred, farmer
    • Dibbs, Thomas, farmer
    • Elliott, Thomas, postmaster, grocer and farmer
    • Fall, William, farmer
    • Hunton, Benjamin, farmer
    • I'Anson, Henry, farmer,
    • Kitchingman, Hannah (Mrs), Blue Bell Inn
    • Knight, Rev. H.C. (vicar), Vicarage
    • Knowles, Robert, farmer
    • Marshall, Thomas, blacksmith
    • Needham, William, gentleman
    • Primitive Methodist Chapel
    • Richardson, Edward, pig dealer, wheelwright & joiner
    • Sampson, Joseph, gamekeeper
    • Sanderson, Thomas, farmer
    • Simpson, Thomas J., farmer
    • Stephenson, Edward, farmer
    • Thompson, Sarah, farmer
    • Watson, Fred, farmer
    • Wesleyan Mission Room
    • Whincup, John, farmer

    1907 directory

    ARKENDALE. Nearest Railway station - Copgrove (N.E.R.). In Great Ouseburn Union. Area 1,604 acres. Population, 169. Rateable value, buildings, £358; land, £1,592. Rural District Councillor - Joseph H. Nussey. Overseers - Benjamin Hunton and Thomas Sanderson. Primitive Methodist Chapel. Wesleyan Mission Room.
    • Abbey, William T., schoolmaster
    • Allen, John jun., farmer
    • Atkinson, Levi, farmer
    • Dibbs, Alfred, farmer
    • Dibbs, Thomas, farmer
    • Elliott, Thomas, postmaster, grocer and farmer
    • Fall, William, farmer
    • Hunton, Benjamin, farmer
    • Kitchingman, Hannah (Mrs), Blue Bell Inn
    • Knight, Rev. H.C. (vicar), Vicarage
    • Knowles, Robert, farmer
    • Marshall, Thomas, blacksmith
    • Needham, William, gentleman
    • Richardson, Edward, pig dealer, wheelwright & joiner
    • Robinson, George, farmer
    • Robinson, John, farmer
    • Sampson, Joseph, gamekeeper
    • Sanderson, Thomas, farmer
    • Simpson, Thomas I., farmer
    • Stephenson, Edward, farmer
    • Thompson, Sarah, farmer
    • Watson, Fred, farmer
    • Whincup, John, farmer

    1908 & 1909 directories

    ARKENDALE. Nearest Railway station - Copgrove (N.E.R.). In Great Ouseburn Union. Area 1,526 acres. Population, 150. Rateable value, buildings, £367; land, £1,568. Rural District Councillor - Joseph H. Nussey. Overseers - Edward Stephenson and Thomas Sanderson. Primitive Methodist Chapel. Wesleyan Mission Room.
    • Abbey, William T., schoolmaster
    • Allen, John jun., farmer
    • Atkinson, Levi, farmer
    • Dibbs, Alfred, farmer
    • Dibbs, Thomas, farmer
    • Elliott, Thomas, postmaster, grocer and farmer
    • Fall, William, farmer
    • Hunton, Benjamin, farmer
    • Kitchingman, Hannah (Mrs), Blue Bell Inn
    • Knight, Rev. H.C. (vicar), Vicarage
    • Knowles, Robert, farmer
    • Marshall, Thomas, blacksmith
    • Needham, William, gentleman
    • Richardson, Edward, pig dealer, wheelwright & joiner
    • Robinson, George, farmer
    • Robinson, John, farmer
    • Sampson, Joseph, gamekeeper
    • Sanderson, Thomas, farmer
    • Simpson, Thomas I., farmer
    • Stephenson, Edward, farmer
    • Thompson, Sarah, farmer
    • Watson, Fred, farmer
    • Whincup, John, farmer

    1912 directory

    ARKENDALE, pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity, commanding a prospect over a well-cultivated country, is a village and parish, 1½ miles south-east from Copgrove station on the Harrogtate and Boroughbridge section (which is in Staveley village), and 3 north from Goldsborouth station on the Knaresborough and Harrogate line of the London and North Eastern railway, 4 north-east from Knaresborough and 3½ south from Boroughbridge, in the Ripon division of the Riding, Claro petty sessional, wapentake of Claro, union of Great Ouseburn, county court district of Knaresborough, rural deanery of Knaresborough, archdeaconry of Leeds and diocese of Ripon. The church of St. Bartholomew, rebuilt in 1836, and consecrated 16th January, 1837, is an edifice of white brick in the Perpendicular and Middle-Pointed styles, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower with pinnacles, and containing a clock and 2 bells: the church was restored in 1888-9 at a cost of about £1,400, defrayed by the late S. J. Brown esq. of Loftus Hill: there are sittings for 150 persons. The register dates from the year 1793. The living is a vicarage, net yearlv value £194, including 76 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Knaresborough, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Henry Cradock Knight L. Th. of Hatfield Hall, Durham, who is also incumbent of Allerton Manleverer: the tithes, amounting to £107, are impropriated. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Arkendale Hall, a modern mansion standing on an eminence about a mile from the village, is the property and residence of Joseph Henry Nussey esq. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,604 acres, rateable value, £1,936; the population in 1901 was, civil, 169, ecclesiastical, 144. Sexton, Swift Powell. Post Office - Thomas Elliott, sub-postmaster, Arkendale. Letters arrive from Knaresborough at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 8.45 a.m. & 5.15 p.m.; there is no sunday delivery. Staveley, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1867, for 84 children; average attendance, 56; Miss Anna J. Bretherick, mistress.
    PRIVATE RESIDENTS
    • Knight, Rev. Henry Cradock L.Th. (vicar), Vicarage
    • Needham, William, Bryon Lodge
    • Nussey, Joseph Henry, Arkendale Hall
    COMMERCIAL
    • Allen, John Robert, farmer
    • Atkinson, Isaac, cowkeeper
    • Atkinson, Levi, farmer
    • Dibbs, John, farmer
    • Dibbs, Thomas, farmer
    • Elliott, Thomas, shopkeeper, Post Office
    • Fall, William, farmer, Holgate Bank Farm
    • Hunton, Benjamin, farmer and assistant overseer
    • Kitchingman, Hannah (Mrs), Blue Bell P.H.
    • Knowles, Robert, farmer, Manor Farm
    • Marshall, Emma (Mrs), shopkeeper
    • Marshall, Thomas, blacksmith
    • Palfreeman, William Henry, farmer
    • Pickersgill, John, farmer
    • Richardson, Edward, wheelwright & joiner
    • Sampson, Helen (Mrs), farmer
    • Sanderson, Thomas, farmer, Ferns
    • Simpson, Thomas, farmer, The Grange
    • Slater, Bernard, farmer, Brooms House
    • Steele, Albert, farmer
    • Stephenson, Edward, farmer
    • Watson, Frederick, farmer

    1917 directory

    ARKENDALE, pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity, commanding a prospect over a well-cultivated country, is a village and parish, 1½ miles south-east from Copgrove station on the Harrogtate and Boroughbridge section (which is in Staveley village), and 3 north from Goldsborouth station on the Knaresborough and Harrogate line of the London and North Eastern railway, 4 north-east from Knaresborough and 3½ south from Boroughbridge, in the Ripon division of the Riding, Claro petty sessional, wapentake of Claro, union of Great Ouseburn, county court district of Knaresborough, rural deanery of Knaresborough, archdeaconry of Leeds and diocese of Ripon. The church of St. Bartholomew, rebuilt in 1836, and consecrated 16th January, 1837, is an edifice of white brick in the Perpendicular and Middle-Pointed styles, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower with pinnacles, and containing a clock and 2 bells: the church was restored in 1888-9 at a cost of about £1,400, defrayed by the late S. J. Brown esq. of Loftus Hill: there are sittings for 150 persons. The register dates from the year 1793. The living is a vicarage, net yearlv value £194, including 76 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Knaresborough, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Henry Cradock Knight L. Th. of Hatfield Hall, Durham, who is also incumbent of Allerton Manleverer: the tithes, amounting to £107, are impropriated. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Arkendale Hall, a modern mansion standing on an eminence about a mile from the village, is the property and residence of Joseph Henry Nussey esq. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,604 acres, rateable value, £1,990; the population in 1911 was 166. Sexton, Edgar Steel. Post Office - Tom Elliott, sub-postmaster, Arkendale. Letters from Knaresborough. Staveley, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1867, for 84 children; Miss Anna J. Bretherick, mistress.
    PRIVATE RESIDENTS
    • Knight, Rev. Henry Cradock L.Th. (vicar), Vicarage
    • Needham, Mrs, Bryon Lodge
    • Nussey, Joseph Henry, Arkendale Hall
    COMMERCIAL
    • Allen, John Robert, farmer
    • Atkinson, Levi, farmer
    • Dibbs, John, farmer
    • Elliott, Thomas, shopkeeper, Post Office
    • Ellis, Thomas, farmer, The Grange
    • Fife, Allan, farmer, Holgate Bank
    • Hunton, Benjamin, farmer and assistant overseer
    • Kitchingman, Hannah (Mrs), Blue Bell P.H.
    • Knowles, Robert, farmer, Manor Farm
    • Marshall, Emma (Mrs), shopkeeper
    • Marshall, Thomas, blacksmith
    • Moss, Frederick, farmer
    • Palfreeman, William Henry, farmer
    • Pickersgill, John, farmer
    • Richardson, Edward, wheelwright
    • Sampson, Helen (Mrs), farmer
    • Sanderson, Thomas, farmer, Ferns
    • Slater, Bernard, farmer, Brooms House
    • Steel, Albert, farmer
    • Stephenson, Wallis, farmer
    • Watson, Frederick, farmer

    1918 Register of Electors

    Ripon Parliamentary Division of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Polling district of Arkendale (A). Township of Arkendale. (R) Residence qualification; (BP) Business premises qualification; (O) Occupation qualification; (HO) Qualification through husband's occupation; (NM) Naval or military qualification.
    DIVISION 1
    • Allen, John Robert - Hazel Head (R)
    • Allen, Hilda - Hazel Head (HO)
    • Atkinson, Levi - Low Arkendale (R)
    • Atkinson, Mary - Low Arkendale (HO)
    • Atkinson, William - Arkendale (R)
    • Atkinson, Frances - Arkendale (HO)
    • Bretherick, Ana Jane - Ivy Cottage (O)
    • Brooker, Sarah Jane - Arkendale (HO)
    • Brooker, William Henry - Arkendale (NM)
    • Darbyshire, John - Bryan Cottage (R)
    • Darbyshire, Frances - Bryan Cottage (HO)
    • Darbyshire, John - Park View (R)
    • Deighton, William - Arkendale (R)
    • Elliott, Tom - Post Office (R)
    • Elliott, Mary Jane - Post Office (HO)
    • Fyfe, Alan Dacre - Holgate Bridge Farm (R)
    • Hawe, Henry - Arkendale (R)
    • Hunton, Benjamin - Low Farm (R)
    • Ibbotson, George - Arkendale (R)
    • Ibbotson, Alice - Arkendale (HO)
    • Knight, Henry Craddock - The Vicarage (R)
    • Knight, Lavinia - The Vicarage (HO)
    • Knowles, Robert - Manor Farm (R)
    • Knowles, Sarah Elizabeth - Manor Farm (HO)
    • Knowles, Thoms - School House (NM)
    • Kitchingman, Hannah - Blue Bell Inn (O)
    • Maxwell, Hamilton George - The Hall (R)
    • Maxwell, Ellen Lucy - The Hall (HO)
    • Marshall, Thomas - Low Arkendale (R)
    • Marshall, Emma Elizabeth - Low Arkendale (HO)
    • Moss, Fred - Dale Farm (R)
    • Moss, Eva - Dale Farm (HO)
    • Needham, Sarah - Bryan House (O)
    • Nicholson, Joseph - Arkendale (R)
    • Powell, Swift - Arkendale (R)
    • Powell, Eleanor Mary - Arkendale (HO)
    • Richardson, Edward - Arkendale (R)
    • Richardson, Eliza - Arkendale (HO)
    • Sampson, Mary Ellen - Long Cottage (O)
    • Sanderson, Thomas - Fern's House Farm (R)
    • Slater, Bernard - Broom's House Farm (R)
    • Slater, Margaret - Broom's House Farm (HO)
    • Simpson, Thomas Ingham - The Grange Farm (R)
    • Stephenson, Walter - Holgate Bridge Farm (R)
    • Steel, Albert - Arkendale (R)
    • Steel, Mary Jane - Arkendale (HO)
    • Steel, Edgar - Arkendale (R)
    • Steel, Harriet - Arkendale (HO)
    • Thompson, Sarah - Low Arkendale (O)
    • Watson, Frederick - Dale House Farm (R)
    • Watson, Maria - Dale House Farm (HO)
    DIVISION 2
    • Campbell, Thomas - Pond House (R)
    • Elliott, Fred - Post Office (NM)
    • Mitchell, Arthur Sykes - Pond Farm (NM)
    • Nussey, Joseph Henry - Arkendale (NM)
    • Powell, Swift - Arkendale (NM)
    • Sparkes, William - Hollin's House (NM)
    • Watson, Bertram - Dale House Farm (NM)
    DIVISION 3
    • Dibbs, John - Waterloo Street, Harogate (O)
    • Palfreeman, William Henry - Hay-a-Park, Knaresborough (O)
    • Pickersgill, John - Hay-a-Park, Knaresborough (O)

    1921 Register of Electors

    Ripon Parliamentary Division of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Polling district of Arkendale (A). Ouseburn Electoral Division. Township of Arkendale. (R) Residence qualification; (BP) Business premises qualification; (O) Occupation qualification; (HO) Qualification through husband's occupation; (NM) Naval or military qualification.
    • Atkinson, John - Hollins House (R)
    • Atkinson, Levi - Hollins House (R)
    • Atkinson, Mary - Hollins House (HO)
    • Atkinson, William - Arkendale (R)
    • Atkinson, Frances - Arkendale (HO)
    • Bailes, George - Manor Farm (R)
    • Bailes, Louisa - Manor Farm (HO)
    • Bailes, John Thomas - Manor Farm (R)
    • Bailes, William Henry - Manor Farm (R)
    • Bailey, George - Fern's House Farm (R)
    • Bailey, Annie - Fern's House Farm (HO)
    • Bretherick, Ana Jane - Ivy Cottage (O)
    • Brooker, Sarah Jane - Arkendale (HO)
    • Brooker, William Henry - Arkendale (R)
    • Chapman, Frank - Arkendale (R)
    • Elliott, Tom - Post Office (R)
    • Elliott, Mary Jane - Post Office (HO)
    • Fyfe, Alan Dacre - Holgate Bank Farm (R)
    • Fyfe, Alice Maud - Holgate Bank Farm (HO)
    • Hall, Bernard - Grange Farm (joint) (R)
    • Hall, Joseph - Grange Farm (joint) (R)
    • Hawe, Henry - Arkendale (R)
    • Houseman, Reginald - Dale House Farm (R)
    • Houseman, Annie - Dale House Farm (HO)
    • Hunton, Benjamin - Pond House (joint) (R)
    • Hunton, Frederick William - Pond House (joint) (R)
    • Ibbotson, George - Arkendale (R)
    • Ibbotson, Alice - Arkendale (HO)
    • Ingleby, Fred - Blue Bell Inn (R)
    • Knight, Henry Craddock - The Vicarage (R)
    • Knight, Lavinia - The Vicarage (HO)
    • Knowles, Sarah - School House (HO)
    • Knowles, Thomas - School House (R)
    • Kitchingman, Hannah - Blue Bell Inn (O)
    • Marshall, Thomas - Low Arkendale (R)
    • Marshall, Emma Elizabeth - Low Arkendale (HO)
    • Moss, Fred - Dale Farm (R)
    • Moss, Eva - Dale Farm (HO)
    • Needham, Sarah - Bryan House (O)
    • Nicholson, Joseph - Arkendale (R)
    • Nussey, Emilie - The Hall (HO)
    • Nussey, Joseph Henry - The Hall (R)
    • Powell, Eleanor Mary - Arkendale (HO)
    • Powell, Frederick - Arkendale (R)
    • Powell, Swift - Arkendale (R)
    • Richardson, Edward - Arkendale (R)
    • Richardson, Eliza - Arkendale (HO)
    • Ritson, Percy - Hay-a-Park, Knaresborough (BP)
    • Ritson, Agnes - Hay-a-Park, Knaresborough (HO)
    • Sampson, James - Long Cottage (R)
    • Sampson, Mary Ellen - Long Cottage (O)
    • Sanderson, Thomas - Hazel Head (R)
    • Slater, Bernard - Broom's House Farm (R)
    • Slater, Margaret - Broom's House Farm (HO)
    • Simpson, Thomas Ingham - The Grange Farm (R)
    • Stephenson, Walter - Holgate Bridge Farm (R)
    • Steel, Albert - Arkendale (R)
    • Steel, Mary Jane - Arkendale (HO)
    • Steel, Edgar - Arkendale (R)
    • Steel, Harriet - Arkendale (HO)
    • Surr, Herbert - Hay-a-Park, Knaresborough (R)
    • Surr, Annie - Hay-a-Park, Knaresborough (HO)
    • Thompson, David - Moor House (R)
    • Thompson, Mary Ann - Moor House (HO)
    • Thompson, Enoch - Low Arkendale (R)
    • Williams, John - Arkendale (R)
    • Williams, Madge - Arkendale (HO)

    1922 directory

    ARKENDALE, pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity, commanding a prospect over a well-cultivated country, is a village and parish, 1½ miles south-east from Copgrove station on the Harrogtate and Boroughbridge section (which is in Staveley village), and 3 north from Goldsborouth station on the Knaresborough and Harrogate line of the London and North Eastern railway, 4 north-east from Knaresborough and 3½ south from Boroughbridge, in the Ripon division of the Riding, Claro petty sessional, wapentake of Claro, union of Great Ouseburn, county court district of Knaresborough, rural deanery of Knaresborough, archdeaconry of Leeds and diocese of Ripon. The church of St. Bartholomew, rebuilt in 1836, and consecrated 16th January, 1837, is an edifice of white brick in the Perpendicular and Middle-Pointed styles, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower with pinnacles, and containing a clock and 2 bells: the church was restored in 1888-9 at a cost of about £1,400, defrayed by the late S. J. Brown esq. of Loftus Hill: there are sittings for 150 persons. The register dates from the year 1793. The living is a vicarage, net yearlv value £294, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Knaresborough, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Henry Cradock Knight L. Th. of Hatfield Hall, Durham, who is also incumbent of Allerton Manleverer. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Arkendale Hall, a modern mansion standing on an eminence about a mile from the village, is the property and residence of Joseph Henry Nussey esq. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,604 acres, rateable value, £2,016; the population in 1911 was 166. Sexton, Edgar Steel. Post Office - Tom Elliott, sub-postmaster, Arkendale. Letters from Knaresborough. Staveley, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1867, for 84 children; Miss A.J. Bretherick, mistress.
    PRIVATE RESIDENTS
    • Knight, Rev. Henry Cradock L.Th. (vicar), Vicarage
    • Needham, Mrs, Bryon Lodge
    • Nussey, Joseph Henry, Arkendale Hall
    COMMERCIAL
    • Bailes, George, farmer, Manor Farm
    • Bailey, George, farmer
    • Briscombe, John Daniel, farmer
    • Elliott, Tom, shopkeeper, Post Office
    • Fife, Allan, farmer, Holgate Bank
    • Hall, Joseph, farmer, The Grange
    • Houseman, Benjamin, farmer
    • Hunton, Benjamin, farmer and assistant overseer
    • Kitchingman, Hannah (Mrs), Blue Bell P.H.
    • Marshall, Emma (Mrs), shopkeeper
    • Marshall, Thomas, blacksmith
    • Moss, Frederick, farmer
    • Richardson, Edward, wheelwright
    • Ritson, Percy, farmer
    • Sampson, Helen (Mrs), farmer
    • Sanderson, Thomas, farmer, Ferns
    • Slater, Bernard, farmer, Brooms House
    • Steel, Albert, farmer
    • Stephenson, Wallis, farmer
    • Surr, Herbert, farmer

    1927 directory

    ARKENDALE, pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity, commanding a prospect over a well-cultivated country, is a village and parish, 1½ miles south-east from Copgrove station on the Harrogtate and Boroughbridge section (which is in Staveley village), and 3 north from Goldsborouth station on the Knaresborough and Harrogate line of the London and North Eastern railway, 4 north-east from Knaresborough and 3½ south from Boroughbridge, in the Ripon division of the Riding, Claro petty sessional, wapentake of Claro, union of Great Ouseburn, county court district of Knaresborough, rural deanery of Knaresborough, archdeaconry of Leeds and diocese of Ripon. The church of St. Bartholomew, rebuilt in 1836, and consecrated 16th January, 1837, is an edifice of white brick in the Perpendicular and Middle-Pointed styles, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower with pinnacles, and containing a clock and 2 bells: the church was restored in 1888-9 at a cost of about £1,400, defrayed by the late S. J. Brown esq. of Loftus Hill: there are sittings for 150 persons. The register dates from the year 1793. The living is a vicarage, net yearlv value £294, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Knaresborough, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Henry Cradock Knight L. Th. of Hatfield Hall, Durham, who is also incumbent of Allerton Manleverer. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Arkendale Hall, a modern mansion standing on an eminence about a mile from the village, is the property and residence of Joseph Henry Nussey esq. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,604 acres, rateable value, £2,055; the population in 1921 was 191. Post Office - Tom Elliott, sub-postmaster, Arkendale. Letters from Knaresborough. Staveley, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1867, for 84 children; Miss A.J. Bretherick, mistress.
    PRIVATE RESIDENTS
    • Hunton, Frederick, Sunnyside
    • Knight, Rev. Henry Cradock L.Th. (vicar), Vicarage
    • Needham, Mrs, Bryon Lodge
    • Nussey, Joseph Henry, Arkendale Hall
    COMMERCIAL
    • Atkinson, William, Blue Bell P.H.
    • Bailes, George, farmer, Manor Farm
    • Bailey, George, farmer
    • Briscombe, John Daniel, farmer
    • Dawson, Thomas, farmer
    • Elliott, Tom, shopkeeper, Post Office
    • Fife, Allan, farmer, Holgate Bank
    • Hall, Joseph, farmer, The Grange
    • Houseman, Benjamin, farmer
    • Marshall, Emma (Mrs), shopkeeper
    • Moss, Frederick, farmer
    • Richardson, Edward, wheelwright
    • Ritson, Percy, farmer
    • Sampson, Helen (Mrs), farmer
    • Sanderson, Thomas, farmer, Ferns
    • Stephenson, Wallis, farmer
    • Surr, Herbert, farmer
    • Tweedy, Arthur, blacksmith

    1936 directory

    ARKENDALE, village and parish, 4 miles north-east from Knaresborough; Post Office; 1,604 acres; population 167.
    PRIVATE RESIDENTS
    • Carr, Mrs, Bryon Lodge
    • Hunton, Frederick, Pond House
    • Knight, Rev. Henry Cradock L.Th. (vicar), Vicarage
    • Stourton, Hon. William Marmaduke, M.C., Arkendale Hall
    COMMERCIAL
    • Atkinson, William, Blue Bell P.H.
    • Briscombe, John Daniel, farmer
    • Buckle, Mary (Mrs), refreshment rooms, Great North Road
    • Bywater, Charles, farmer, Sunnyside
    • Hall, Joseph, farmer
    • Houseman, Stanley, farmer
    • Lambert, John, shopkeeper and post office
    • Peacock, Joseph, farmer, Forms House
    • Richardson, Edward, wheelwright
    • Sampson, Helen (Mrs), farmer
    • Sanderson, Thomas, farmer
    • Stephenson, Wallis, farmer
    • Surr, Bros., farmers, The Poplars
    • Surr, Frank, farmer, Moor House
    • Tweedy, Arthur, blacksmith
    • Wilson, Frederick, farmer, Manor Farm