Built in 1901, the year of Queen Victoria's death, by the Lord of the Manor, Joseph Henry Nussey.
Last used in the early 1960's when sewerage and mains water came to Arkendale.
The functioning cobble-lined well is 8.2 metres deep, with 6.7 metres of clear drinking water fed by a spring.
Renovations commenced in the Millennium and were completed in Queen Elizabeth's Golden Jubilee in 2002.
See also the Village pumps