General Motors & Bill Gates
At COMDEX Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.
General Motors addressed this comment by released the statement: "Yes, but would you want a car to crash twice a day?" Additionally GM stated:
- Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.
- Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just: ACCEPT, RESTART and DRIVE ON.
- Occasionally, executing a manoeuvre would cause your car to stop and fail and you would have to RE-INSTALL the engine.
- You could only have one person in the car at a time ....... unless you bought "Car95" or "CarNT". But, then you would still have to buy more seats ....... and possibly also a "Multi-User Licence".
- Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the Sun, was reliable, 5 times as fast, twice as easy to drive ........ but would only run on 5% of roads.
- The Macintosh car owners would get expensive Microsoft upgrades to their cars, which would make their cars run much slower.
- The oil, gas and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "GENERAL CAR DEFAULT" warning light.
- New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.
- The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.
- If you were involved in a crash, you would have no idea what happened!!